During the program year (the Sunday after Labor Day through Memorial Day) Sunday services are at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Christian education for all ages is at 9:40 a.m., and is not offered in the summer. Sunday worship during the summer is at 10 a.m.
Infant and Toddler childcare
Infant and toddler childcare is available during worship in the Education Building, where your child will be given loving care by a professional child care team. To find the nursery, enter from the S. Royal Street side of campus. The Education Building is directly across from our playground.
Children and Worship
Children are welcomed in our services. After all, worship is for the entire family of God —including grown-ups.
Christian Education Hour
The Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper is served weekly at the 8:30 a.m. service and bimonthly at the later service, and on Maundy Thursday and Christmas Eve. The Presbyterian Church (USA) observes an “open communion”: all who come to the table, including children, are invited to share in the Sacrament, recognizing that it “is not a right conferred on the worthy, but a privilege given to the undeserving who come in faith, repentance, and love.”
In order that all may come to the table, the fruit of the wine is grape juice and all communion bread is gluten-free.
If you wish to explore membership at the Meeting House please contact us. We offer a three-Sunday Inquirers’ Class twice a year during the Sunday education hour. You can learn more about our church family by speaking to our pastors or worship service greeters. If you would like to request a call or visit from a pastor, call 703-549-6670 or send us an email. You may also place a request in the Friendship Pad available in the pews during services.
Frequently Asked Questions
It was established during the Colonial Period when in Virginia the Church of England was the official “church.” Other denominations could gather in public places as “meeting houses,” hence the early designation of this church. The Old Presbyterian Meeting House has borne various names during its history but the congregation has reclaimed the original name to emphasize its historical roots. See History Section on the website for detail history of the Meeting House.
Along with being a common architectural style of the time, the pew doors served a functional need. When the original sanctuary was built, just prior to the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, English sympathizers in the Virginia colony feared potential seditious behavior by Scottish Presbyterians. As a result, doors and windows had to be left open during public gatherings. Church members would bring either warm bricks or stones from their homes, wrap them in cloth, and place them at their feet. The pew doors would shut to hold the heat in around the pew.
It was established in 1772. The first building was built in 1774 and largely destroyed by fire in 1835. The present building was built soon after the fire and historians still debate the extent to which the original foundation and remaining wall structure were used.
It was the church’s second organ, installed in 1849 by a famous American pipe organ builder, Henry Erben. Even though it has sustained some “cosmetic scars” during its 150 years, it still is a pleasant chamber instrument, mechanically sound and tonally enjoyable. It functions particularly well as accompaniment to the Children’s Choirs.
Since the installation of the new Lively-Fulcher pipe organ in the summer of 1997, it has also been used in antiphonal psalm singing. For example, the children will sing a psalm antiphon (refrain) standing on the pulpit steps accompanied by the Erben organ and the Adult Choir will chant psalm verses from the rear balcony accompanied by the Lively-Fulcher organ (also located in the rear balcony).
It is the grave of an unknown soldier from our War of Independence. The Children of the American Revolution (C.A.R.) and other such groups make annual pilgrimages to this historic grave.
There were two reasons:
- LOGISTICAL: Washington was a member of the local Church of England, Christ Church, which is about 8 blocks northwest of here. At the time of Washington’s death it was “in the woods” still, because settlement took place going inland from the Potomac River. Therefore, the closer to the river things were the better they were developed. The roads to Christ Church were too muddy and snowy during the week of the memorial services. But, since the road here was passable and since Washington had been here for various meetings and worship services, it was decided to hold his memorial services here.
- PERSONAL: Dr. Craik, the physician who attended Washington at his death bed, was a member here and long time friend of President Washington. Craik is buried on the north side of the church grounds. Also, Pastor James Muir was a member of the Masonic Lodge with President Washington and the two men maintained a close friendship.
Tradition has it that it is original and it was saved from the fire of 1835. If so, George Washington would have told time by it during meetings he attended at the Old Presbyterian Meeting House.
Indeed! We have over 1,000 members, two Sunday services (one during the summer) with an average attendance of approximately 400–500, additional special services throughout the year, Sunday School for all ages, choirs for all ages, and numerous local and international mission opportunities.