|The war was over, but virtually every aspect of life in Alexandria had been upended. Rev. Elias Harrison, who had served the congregation with distinction since 1817 and had been a distinguished civic leader for decades, died in 1863. Alexandrians who had served in the military and naval forces of the Confederacy returned home to a city that now included thousands of new African American residents and numerous veterans from the Union army. Alexandria’s agricultural hinterlands from Fairfax County to the Shenandoah, whose products had been the economic lifeblood for local mills and the port, had been devastated. Our congregation, which continued to remain with the national Presbyterian Church, remained large and progressive, but by the end of the century, could no longer convince clergy from northern states to serve here.
Meeting House Night at Nationals Park
Global Missions Sunday Tasting
Jul 201907/08/2019 - 07/12/2019
Vacation Bible School