The Meeting House has two cemeteries. The original burial ground was located behind the Old Presbyterian Meeting House (erected in 1775) at 321 South Fairfax Street. Some 300 persons remain buried in there. Notable Alexandrians interred there include George Washington’s personal physician, Dr. James Craik; John Carlyle, a founding trustee of the city; and a number of patriots of the Revolutionary War. The Tomb of an Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution lies on the northern side of this graveyard.
In 1804, Alexandria’s Common Council ended burials within the city limits, and in 1809 a “new” Presbyterian Cemetery was established on Hamilton Lane, about a mile west of the Meeting House. Known today as the Presbyterian Cemetery and Columbarium, it is located amid a number of other cemeteries, including the Alexandria National Cemetery. This cemetery is in use today.
Over the years, the Presbyterian Cemetery has provided burial space for merchants; ship captains; veterans of the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil War (including those who served for North and South); the Reverend Dr. Elias Harrison, fourth pastor of the Meeting House; the Reverend Dr. William R. Sengel, former pastor emeritus of the Meeting House; a half dozen of Alexandria’s mayors; numerous representatives of the city’s governing council; and at least one member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
In the 1950s, a group from Second Presbyterian Church assumed responsibility for the Presbyterian Cemetery. They established a fund to support cemetery operations, which today provides the operating budget and enables necessary capital improvements.
Beginning in the early 1970s, the late Rev. Sengel worked to return responsibility for the management and operation of the Presbyterian Cemetery to the Meeting House. This finally occurred in 1999. Numerous improvements to the property have been made since that time.
Though more than a thousand burial plots remain available in the Presbyterian Cemetery, a Columbarium was added in 2007 to provide more suitable accommodation for cremated remains. Located along the western edge of the roadway through the property, it contains 192 individual niches, each of which can hold two small urns. This facility is available for use by any Presbyterian. Because of the financial support provided by its operating fund, the Cemetery does not charge for perpetual care of interments either in the Columbarium or in individual gravesites.
To learn more about the Presbyterian Cemetery and Columbarium, or to request information about the site (including purchasing a burial plot or columbarium niche), please contact Cemetery Superintendent David Heiby by email or phone at (703) 869-0872.
To explore our collection of deceased records, view headstone photographs, or find an interactive map of the cemetery, click here. Please note that you will be asked to create a username and password to use this site.
War of 1812 Commemoration Features Burials in Presbyterian Cemetery
Records indicate that some 48 members of the Meeting House congregation were veterans of the War of 1812. Nearly two-thirds are buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery. Scores more congregants who are interred here served in support of the American war effort as civilians—as members of Alexandria’s Common Council, Committee of Vigilance, and other capacities. To learn more, read our brochure, War of 1812—Burials at the Presbyterian Cemetery.
Directions to the Presbyterian Cemetery
From the Meeting House at at 323 S. Fairfax St.:
- Go north a half block to Duke St.
- Turn left (west) on Duke St. and continue to Henry St. (U.S. 1 South).
- Turn left (south) on Henry St., then proceed to Wilkes St.
- Turn right (west) on Wilkes St. and continue to Hamilton Ln., the last intersection before Wilkes St. Ends at the Alexandria National Cemetery.
- A white sign at the intersection points in the direction of the Presbyterian Cemetery.
- Turn left (south) on Hamilton Ln. and continue a short distance to the main entrance (the southernmost of two gates through the wrought-iron fence surrounding the cemetery), then turn right.